Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter Morning Muffins: Beets and Kale for Breakfast!


This recipe I adapted just a bit from the website www.yumuniverse.com they have some yummy recipes!  I will explain how I made these cupcakes/muffins.  The reviews from my family- kids 2 loved them, 2 kids liked them, 1 kid did not like them.  I loved them, my hubby said he thought they were a bit "kaley".  Took them to a friends house and she loved them and her kids liked them as well.  So, although a bit different to some with a more sensative pallet to the rest of us they were just chocolately goodness, yummy!  In the future I may use purple kale like she suggested- maybe it has a milder flavor!  The dark chocolate covered almonds I found at the co-op they are naturally colored with beet juice and the like...so I better option than food coloring!
Ingredients:

Frosting:
1/2 container of coconut cream cheese
8 drops of liquid vanilla stevia

Cake:
2 leaves green kale, ribs removed and chopped into tiny, tiny pieces
Dry Ingredients
3/4 cup almond flour/meal
1 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 tsp fine ground sea salt
1/2 cup sucanat
1/2 cup coconut sugar
Blend/Wet Ingredients
1 tbsp chia
1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp cold-pressed virgin coconut oil
3 tsp gf vanilla extract
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup grated beet
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line cupcake pan with paper liners. In a blender put chia and water and let sit.  Mix in a large bowl all the dry ingredients.  Go back to the blender and add the rest of the wet ingredients...vinegar, oil, vanilla, lemon juice, and beet.  Blend until smooth.  Pour liquids into dry ingredients and stir until well blended.  I use an ice cream scooper, and put one scoop of batter in each cupcake wrapper.  Place in the oven and bake for 20-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;