Monday, April 23, 2012

How we do it?

People often ask me how do I do all the "homemade" stuff with 5 kids and special diets.  So, I am going to do some blogging about how I make "homemade" food a life style choice.  The first thing I do is each week I make a menu.  This is a plan of breakfast, lunch, dinners, and snacks.  I also include on our menu events that we have going on for the week.  Then on dance night I make a quick and easy meal that can be done early, on the day that I teach I make a crock pot meal, and nights where everyone has something I make a meal (usually crockpot style) that people can eat when they can, luckily this does not happen very often.

Today we started our day with crapes that were amazing.  They are grain free, thus gluten free, dairy free, and no sugar.  I filled them with a choice of strawberries and bananas, blueberries, or apples and cinnamon.  They were a HIT, everyone gobbled them up.  Here is the recipe it is from a blog called Life As A Plate.
(www.lifeasaplate.com)


Sunday Morning Grain-Free Crepes

What you need:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 c. coconut flour, sifted
  • 4 tbsp arrowroot powder
  • 1 3/4 c. milk (can use coconut/almond milk if dairy free)
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp honey
What you do:
  1. Put the eggs, honey, vanilla, and milk in a bender.
  2. Slowly add in the sifted coconut flour, arrowroot, and baking soda.
  3. Set a nonstick pan on medium (this is important to not burn or undercook) and melt butter or your fat of choice.
  4. Pour enough batter in to thinly coat the entire bottom of the pan. Swirl the batter around till it’s even.
  5. Cover with a lid and let cook for 2-4 minutes and then flip for 1 minute to get a quick brown on the other side.
  6. Serve with fresh fruit, maple syrup, or your choice of topping!
For lunch I sent peanutbutter honey GF sandwhiches, mixed veggies with dip (a homemade dip I made on Friday, my bulk cooking day):  peapods, carrots, cucumbers, orange peppers- left overs from a veggie tray yesterday when we had guests for a bbq, a home made granola bar (also made on bulk cooking day, I just grabbed it out of the freezer and put it in the lunch box!), strawberries, and a "squeezie" apple sauce for their snack.

For dinner I need a quick, easy, and early breakfast as we are going to the Twins game tonight.  I am making a sundried tomato pesto salmon (sundried sauce I made and froze 1/2 the last time we had it so it is in the freezer, I just need to take it out and let it defrost.), we will have sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli and a spinach salad with it. 

We will have popcorn and peanuts at the game for bedtime snack!  That is how I did it today!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;