Friday, January 27, 2012

Whole Foods Update!

We are almost done with our first month of whole foods, grain free living. It has been amazing, fun, and a lot of transition. But, things are getting so much easier. I am finding some fun and creative breakfast ideas like Banana Almond Pancakes, Quinoa and Veggie Saute, Crepes filled with fruit to name a few. As each day goes on the meals get easier lunch has been soup, lettuce wraps, salads, and dinners have not changed much. I did figure out how to make one of my favorite hot dishes that my mom use to make, we have not had it for years, it is an asian spin on hamburger rice hot dish. Some fun desserts have even emerged like the strawberry parfaits, almond joys, and squash pie with whip cream. (It was suppose to be pumpkin pie but I did not have any pumpkin so I used some leftover squash and it was delicious!)

Results: What have I seen since we have begun this new way of eating. My kids are eating MORE! And the more they are eating is healthy: fruit, veggies, flax crackers with hummus/bruchetta/carrots, olives, pickles, power bars (grain free), almond joys, salads and at meals they are cleaning up. Their tastes are changing and they don't even ask for processed foods anymore. One of my kids had a chiropractic appointment today and she tested strong enough to eat dairy and eggs (this is amazing since they have been out of her diet for 6 years!) We are not adding dairy to our diet at this point, not even raw. But, it is great to know that we can have some in the future (in limited quantities). It is nice to know eggs are ok occasionally as well, since some of the new recipes do call for egg and flax meal has not been working!

In the next few days I will be posting these new recipes, so keep watch and try them with your family. They are truly nutritious and delicious! Oh yeah, tonight we are having a chocolate pie with a walnut crust....can't wait!

Two of our kids began school last week, so another new challenge is school lunches. We will see what I come up with. I must confess they had 4 days of "gluten free bread" as I did not know what else to send- so they had PBJ. But I am ready for next week, I have purchased some ninja thermos', lunch boxes, and I am ready to take on the school lunch fiasco!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;