Friday, August 17, 2012

Grow Your Own and Save!


A tip I love to share with people is grow your own.  Many people tell me how they live in urban areas or that they have small yards and have no room for a garden.  Well, I am living proof that small gardens can bear a great deal of fresh, organic, and cost effective veggies!  Above is our first harvest after the kale.  We have 1 yellow summer squash plant, 1 zuchinni plant, 3 pepper plants, and lots of tomato plants.  So, this is our first harvest of the season.  I planted late so we are just getting our produce.  We picked this all a few weeks ago, now the plants are really producing!

It is so cool how a pack of seed for $.99 or $1.99 give you many, many vegetables!  Sow 1 seed reap a multiplication of produce!  So, for my $1.99 pack of zuchinni seeds I have made a ton of "zuchinni" bread, muffins, roasted veggies, pizza boats, and pasta (to name a few)!

We took out the two flower gardens in our backyard and filled them with veggies!  I am shocked at how much produce these two little plots are producing!  We also stated a berry/fruit patch with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and ruhbarb on the side of our house!  So, get creative.  When you are trapped inside this winter, get out some paper and start sketching out a garden plan.  Start small and you will be surpirsed how much produce you get.

Some other ideas to small area/urban solutions are:  container gardening or find a community garden and rent a plot for the summer.  A great place to get a lot in the Burnsville area is through Woodhill Urban Agriculture!  Check them out on facebook  www.facebook.com/WoodhillUrbanAg

We took these veggies and made a breakfast stir fry, it was so nummy with all the fresh veggies.  Below is a photo of the breakfast we had.  I must admit I did not make this creation, my hubby did it all on his own!  Way to go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;