Thursday, May 10, 2012

Let's Get Cookin' Popsicles to brag about!


One of the best ways to get kids to eat healthy is to let them be a part of the cooking process.  Little chefs excitedly eat what they have prepared!  Not only is this a great encouragement to get kids to eat it is also a way to get something done you have to get done anyway, with the bonus of spending some good quality time together.  I find ever lasting memories and countless- photo ops occur in the kitchen as we cook together, bond, and laugh!  (Even the baby got in on this one!)

Today, my five year old Michael and I decided to try out a new recipe I had from a company called BellyFULL, it is a great local company that has created a number of recipes for tasty and nutritious popsicles.  They sell these little kids that come with the recipes, a chef hat, a popsicle container, and sticks! Today my son and I made the Carrot Creamsicle.
It was so simple and I only had to make one recipe adjustment to match our allergies.  We put the following ingredients into a blender and pureed them until smooth:  3/4 c. pureed carrots (I cooked about 4 organic carrots and pureed them with the water from the pan to the consistency of baby food- that was too much, so I will do only 2 carrots next time, but I froze the extra for the next time we make these), 1 1/2 c. organic oranges diced (the recipe called for Mandarin oranges, but I did not have any on hand so I just used oranges and it worked great), 1/4 c. almond milk (this is my alteration as we do not use vanilla ice cream...I would have used coconut vanilla ice cream but we did not have any on hand).  Then you simply pour the puree into the popsicle container, place sticks and freeze-  wahla....nutritious and delicious popsicles!  For more information about FullBELLY check out their website at www.theHopeFULLcompany.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;