Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How to make this meal... when you are gone all day!


I knew today was going to be a crazy day as I had a meeting at work in the morning and was working in my pre-school son's class all afternoon. I had to get up, get everyone ready (including myself), get breakfast made, lunches packed, and have a dinner plan ready as there was a quick window of time for a family dinner, before off to church. So, how did I do it?

Well, it began last night. Before bed I took a trip to the freezer and took out steak (grassfed) for dinner, chicken chili (a left over from last week) for lunch, and bacon (pastured) for breakfast.

I got up one hour earlier than normal (6am) and began cookin'. I dumped the chili into a pan to heat, filled 2 thermos with boiling hot water, I made up a batch of muffins (they went with the bacon for breakfast), I mixed up a batch of corn bread (that went with the chili). I tossed them both in the oven and jumped into the shower. After the shower, the muffins and corn bread were done, I took them out of the oven. The chili was hot so I put it in the thermos and the rest went in the crock pot to keep hot for everyone else at home. As the corn bread and muffins cooled, I put on the bacon and mixed up the steak marinade. I placed the stead into a glass pan and poured the marinade over the meat, popped the top on the pan and placed the steaks in the fridge for the day! The bacon finished up frying and I served up breakfast, muffins and bacon, with our traditional morning smoothie (packed with superfoods, vitamin c, flax oil, and fruit). I packed up the lunches corn bread and all! The kids went off to school, I went off to my meeting.

We all got home about 3:45pm and I tossed in 7 potatoes and 1 squash. An hour later I took the steaks out of the fridge, tossed them in to broil (about 7min each side), put some greens in a bowl (tossed in some dressing) and sautéed some green beans as the meat cooked. I served up steak, baked potatoes, squash, green beans, and a salad for dinner!

A great day of eating with a bit of planning ahead and getting up a little earlier than normal! It can be done and quite easily I might add! Happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;