Saturday, October 13, 2012

Hannah Goes to Camp: Going to Camp Gluten and Dairy Free!


Wow, a week ago my daughter  Hannah went off to camp with her class at school and was gone for four days and three nights!  Talk about a time to trust God!  Since we have done all the "diet" stuff my daughter has never been away from me for this long.  Who was going to fix her "special" food, who would make sure she took her herbs, who was going to make sure she didn't get something she shouldn't, who would, who would, who would?  As I prayed I got the answer....SHE WILL!  And boy did she, and she did a stellar job!

Side note:  Even tough it is not really "camp" season I thought I better blog it before I forgot what I did....you can alway reference it in the summer when you need it.  I hope my experience will help you and your child be able to experience going to camp with special diets a possibility too!  My daughter was so blessed to have a friend in her class who was also gluten and dairy free so they were able to cook (via microwave) together, God is sooooo good!  Ya know, HE loves our kids even more than we do!

For me sending her to camp was a scary thing ( more for me than her) and the thought of food was a daunting task:  to put together four days worth of meals and snacks that fit her dietary needs and could be "mircrowaved" (as that is all there was in the cabin that she could use to make alternative food). We don't even OWN a microwave! So,  I got out my menu plan and began planning!   I had to make sure to get everything as they were in the middle of the woods, no store to run to if mom forgot something.

Here is the menu I sent with her:

The first day they left school after lunch so all I had to do was send her a dinner to eat at the pizza place they were stopping at.  I packed a PBJ sand which (her request) to go with a salad she would purchase at the restaurant.  I also popped in an apple and some chocolate pudding for dessert!

Day 2:
Breakfast:  Cereal and Rice Milk (the little lunch box size)
Lunch:  Greek Pasta Salad (I sent cooked noodles, dressing, chopped tomatoes and olives, and crumbled goat feta she just had to toss it all together- No heating required!)
Dinner:  Chili and corn chips with a side of sour cream and goat gouda cheese (I made this ahead and froze it, she then just had to microwave it...ug- I hate microwaves- that is another post though!)

Day 3:
Breakfast:  English muffin with peanut butter and jelly
Lunch:  Pesto Pasta Salad (I sent frozen pesto I made the day before, cooked noodles and grated pecarino cheese for the top, she just mixed it together and sprinkled on the cheese.)
Dinner:  Frozen Pizza (hence the extra meal listed below...wasn't too sure how a pizza would turn out in the microwave!  AS it turns out it didn't work out...so the extra meal came in handy!)

Day 4:
Breakfast:  Leftover cereal or english muffin
Lunch:  Turkey Sand which (Bread, turkey, mayo, mustard, onion, tomato, lettuce, all cut up and ready to put together on a sandwich she just had to assemble)

*Extra Meal:  I did send one extra meal just in case:  hamburger rice hot dish.  I froze it and sent it as an extra in case she got hungry!

Snacks/Things to add to main courses:  Dark chocolate covered almonds, granola bars (2 different types), apples, grapes, snack sized potato chips, dried mango, lots of bottled water (Fiji), grapes, dark chocolate bars, bread and PBJ

My second oldest daughter Lilli looked at the cooler and said, "she is going to eat ALL that?"  With eyebrows raised, rolled eyes, shrugged shoulders and a smile on her face!  Better to much then not enough was my thought!

When my daughter returned home on Friday we all went to Pizza Luce for some HOT, YUMMY GF/DF pizza and celebration of yet another victory in the Schulte family!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;